Once every few months, a great credit card comes into the market which I’ll proudly feature. In my case, I really enjoy cashback cards because they give instant utility and realisation of benefits.
The UOB Absolute Cashback Card is an absolutely simple but absolutely powerful card.
It is an AMEX card with perks such as:
- 1.7% unlimited cashback
- No minimum spend
- No spend exclusions
Let us break them in detail.
1.7% unlimited cashback
The UOB Absolute Cashback card comes with industry leading unlimited 1.7% cashback, the highest in its category.
This compares very favourably to competitors like the Citi Cashback+ MasterCard (1.6%), ICBC Zodiac Card (1.6%), Stanchart Unlimited Cashback Card (1.5%) and AMEX True Cashback Card (1.5%).
It also comes with no minimum spend, so you don’t have to meet minimum spending amounts each month to qualify for this generous cashback.
The cashback earned in current statement period is automatically used to offset the following month’s bill, so unlike Citibank, you don’t have to manually apply for a cashback to be credited into your account.
No spend exclusions
Unlike many other cards in the market that prohibit cashback on certain categories, this card allows you to earn 1.7% unlimited cashback across ANY spending category including previously excluded categories like wallet top ups (e.g. GrabPay & ShopeePay), insurance premiums, school fees, healthcare, rental etc.
Now this is killer differentiation compared to other cards because you literally can enjoy 1.7% permanent discount on anything you pay for with the card.
For example, if you’re already spending $500 each month on GrabPay or FavePay transactions on general spend, plus paying another $2000 on income tax, you can save an additional $136 every year for free just by using this card.
If you are also already paying insurance premiums that amount of thousands of dollars each year, you will save way more by paying with this card.
However, some categories like NETS, personal loans and instalments are excluded from the cashback.
This card comes with other benefits such as
- Complimentary travel insurance with Public Conveyance Personal Accident coverage of S$500,000 and Emergency Medical Assistance, Evacuation & Repatriation coverage up to S$50,000
- Complimentary 6-month FoundersCard membership with exclusive benefits to 500+ premier brands
- Up to 50% savings on dining, shopping and accommodation through AMEXs’ Live the World campaign
- Complimentary 2-year Tablus Plus membership
- Enjoy discounts on petrol at SPC and Shell stations
- 20% savings on total food bill for a la carte buffet for Carousel, Royal Plaza On Scotts
When no-frills card like the UOB Absolute Cashback card come with such great consumer friendly perks, it’s a no brainer to apply. There are literally no downsides to applying for this card unless you hate managing another credit card.
To summarise the benefits of this card:
- Unlimited 1.7% cashback on all purchases, including e-wallet top-ups and insurance
- No minimum spend to attain that cashback rate
- 1st year fee waiver ($192 yearly after)
There is a limited time promotion for new to UOB cardholders (no UOB credit card as principal cardholder for prior 6 months) from 4 May 2021 to 31 July 2021 where you can obtain a bonus 3.3% cashback (i.e. 1.7% + 3.3% = 5% cashback) on your first S$3,000 spent, capped at S$99.